AIR HOCKEY ON A ROTATING PLATFORM
GOAL: To demonstrated the action of Coriolis Forces by playing air
hockey with CW and CCW rotation at various rates.
- Wheel apparatus into lecture hall.
- Connect video projector or monitor to slip rings with BNC (coaxial)
- Connect AC power to slip rings.
- Turn on power to Bodine speed controller, air hockey fans, and TV (switch
on the power strip) MAKE SURE SPEED CONTROLLER IS SET TO BRAKE OR LOW
ROTATION WHEN FIRST TURNING ON.
- Demonstrate air hockey with no rotation, then weak and strong CCW and CW
rotation (adjust the speed control)
- Rule of the game: NO HIGH SPEED SHOTS ALLOWED (can't see Coriolis effect).
QT MOVIE OF THE AIR HOCKEY
GAME IN PROGRESS.
John Hart, University of Colorado